MCBN 171: Calculate the Surface area-to-Volume ratio of a Cube 4 mm and a Cube 8 mm.: Molecular And Micro Biology Assignment, NWU, South Africa
|University||North-West University (NWU)|
|Subject||MCBN 171: Molecular And Micro Biology|
(a)Calculate the surface area-to-volume ratio of a cube 4 mm and a cube 8 mm.
(b)What is the significance of a large surface-area-to-volume ratio for a cell?
(d) Which exact type of microscope would you use to study
(i) changes in the shape of a living human white blood cell?
(ii) details of the surface texture of human hair?
(iii)detailed structure of an organelle of a human liver cell?
(e)Cyanide binds with at least one of the molecules involved in the synthesis of ATP. Following exposure of a cell to cyanide, most of the cyanide would be expected to be found in the
Stuck! We Have Native African Tutors Online 24*7 Who can Answer your Assignment & Homework Questions Instant.
Mammalian red blood cells are sensitive to a change in salt concentration of the external environment. If they are transferred from plasma to a less concentrated solution they swell. If they swell sufficiently they burst, in which case they are said to be haemolyzed. In an experiment to find the percentage of human red blood cells haemolyzed at different concentrations, the following results were obtained:
|Salt concentration (g/l)||% red blood cells haemolyzed|
(a) Plot the results on a graph paper, making sure the dependent variable is on the vertical axis. The graph should be drawn on graph paper (a freehand graph) which has to be scanned and submitted with the assignment as an attachment
(b) Explain why red blood cells swell and burst when placed in a dilute salt solution
(c)Explain why a plant cell does not burst under the same situation as in 2 above
(d)At what concentration is the proportion of haemolyzed to non-haemolyzed cells equal?
Indicate your answer clearly on the graph
(e)Amoeba is a protest that lives in freshwater. What osmotic problem(s) are faced by a unicellular organism like and how does it overcome them?
(e) How do marine organisms osmotically adapt to living in an environment which has such a high salinity?
A range of concentrations of sucrose solutions is used to find the concentration of the solution which causes no change in weight or size of tissue immersed in it. The result of such an investigation are given in the figure below:
a. Write down the solute concentration of the potato chip. Explain
b. What is happening to the cells in the sucrose solution of 0.3 M? Explain.
c. What is happening to the cells in a sucrose solution of 0.8 M? Explain (2)
The turgidity of tissue immersed in solutions can be demonstrated as follows: Identical potato chips are left in (A) water and in (B) 20% sucrose solution.
feeling stressed! Dont Know the answer of your assessment questions? Ask Native African Experts & Get 100% Plagiarism free papers
Are you looking for MCBN 171: Molecular And Micro Biology? If so, then you're in the right place! At Africa Assignment Help we have hired the top Ph.D. and Master Degree experts from the reputed university in South Africa. Our experts work round the clock to assist you with essay writing, dissertation writing, coursework writing on any subject at a cheap price. So hurry up and hire a high-quality academic writing service to get a higher rank in your academic area.
Looking for Plagiarism free Answers for your African college/ university Assignments.
- You are the Business Development Executive of Every shop, the online shopping platform: Business management Research Paper, UNISA, South Africa
- HFL1501: Explain the difference between practical and scientific reception and give an example of each from South African legal history: Historical Foundations of South African Law Assignment, UNISA, South Africa
- Charles Verstappen is the current CEO of Safety Net, a rapidly growing insurance company based in South Africa: Faculty of Law Assignment, UG, South Africa
- IRF231: Write an argumentative essay in which you discuss three ways in which education could make a meaningful contribution: Intensive Reading Essay, UWC, South Africa
- HIST 213: Discuss the justifications for the implementation of Structural Adjustment Programs in Ghana and Zambia: World History Essay, South Africa
- Understand the social theory of gender, the hierarchy of gender roles, and other intersections in how they contribute to the attainment of equity: HIV-AIDS Management Assignment, SU, South Africa
- The government should introduce laws to ensure that more can be done to censor both content and individuals on social media: Business Communication Essay, CPUT, Ireland
- The purpose of this exercise is to sharpen your skills in describing broad patterns of metropolitan growth: Real Estate Assignment, CPUT South Africa
- What sociological questions can you draw from the COVID-19 pandemic and How has it affected society and social relations: Sociology Essay, UNISA, South Africa
- In December 2019, a cluster of pneumonia cases was reported in China, which eventually led to the identification of the first case of COVID-19: Public Policy Development Analysis CaseStudy MD, South Africa